Follow These Tips When Getting A Home Inspection:
- Order a home inspection soon after your offer has been accepted. Many states' real estate contracts allow a limited number of days to complete a home inspection and request repairs, if needed, or cancel your contract.
- If the home is vacant, confirm that the seller will have all utilities on during the inspection.
- Attend the inspection (it is usually best be present for at least the last 30 minutes). This is your opportunity to:
- Gain knowledge of major systems, appliances and fixtures.
- Learn maintenance schedules and tips.
- Better understand the items that will be outlined in the written report.
- Ask questions of the inspector.
- Be sure you understand all conditions identified in the inspection report and that problems have been resolved to your satisfaction before closing.
- Insist that you have a final walk-through prior to close of escrow to verify that repairs have been made and that no new problems have surfaced.
- If you have further concerns or questions about the roof or other major systems, please have a specialist in that area conduct a more extensive examination.